Saturday, July 16, 2011

TOMIC #6

Wow - has it ever been a busy few days working on this project. This week's challenge was to create a 3D scene using Magnolia stamps. Here is what I came up with...
The project is a 12x12 piece of cardboard with a fair theme. I don't have many Tilda stamps, although my collection is growing! I have even fewer background stamps. I was trying to think of something "above and beyond" what the DT might be looking for. While I have yet to create a stair card - a suggested idea - I thought that if I was going to be creating a scene, then I want to be able to frame it and not be as limited by the size of a card.
After looking through card magazines and google images, I was drawing a blank. Now, I don't usually ask my husband for ideas, but I did this time and I will think twice before I do it again - lol. His suggestion? How about a Ferris wheel? Oh, and how about a roller coaster in the background and maybe a little tent or something? I love the idea - it just was quite the undertaking! Who knew he would get so wrapped up in my creation!?!?
Now let's get to the project. I used my Cricut to make the grass, clouds and butterflies. For a few aspects of the project (since I don't have stamps that I could use instead) I used a collage style by cutting out items from magazines. The roller coaster is made of brown cardstock and brown pearls. Copics were used to colour the Tildas as well as creating some depth to the clouds. I popped out the Ticket Booth and added some bling and flowers to the roof.
Everything in the foreground has been "popped up" using a combination of cardboard and foam tape. It started out quite pretty, but as I kept wanting the Ferris wheel to "pop" further, I added more and more cardboard. Thankfully you can't see it from the front view.
The middle of the ferris wheel and behind each "bucket" are brads which allow the ferris wheel to actually move! I used red and blue Stickles around the edge of the Ferris wheel to give the impression of lights (like real Ferris wheels have). There are buttons and glitter on the wheels of the roller coaster. And, although it is hard to see, there are tiny pearls and glitter on the Ferris wheel buckets. The balloons were cut out with the Cricut as well. I then added Martha Stewart foil glitter and then covered the glitter with Glossy Accents to smooth out the glitter and keep it in place. It gives a really cool effect which I don't think you can see in the pictures.


If you look at this picture and compare it to the first, you will see that I turned the Ferris wheel to show that it does in fact move.

Thanks for checking out my latest project - it was so much fun. I will be putting it in a shadow box on hanging it somewhere in my craft/art room. See you next week!

10 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW!!! Angela, that's fabulous! I really love your scene, it's so creative!

    Thanks so much for joining our Create a Scene Challenge at TOMIC this week, hope to see you again!

    Hugs Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Gorgeous work and extremely creative! WOW!

    Thank you for joining The Official Magnolia Inspiration Challenge Blog this week. I hope you will join us again.

    Hugs, Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, omg, your carnival scene is amazing, so many wonderful details & I love each & everyone of them. Your Tilda's & Edwin seem to be having a super time. Great to hear your hubby teamed up with you, an amazing duo. Thanks for joining us at TOMIC this week. Hugs Jodie from Oz xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this you have done an amazing job...cheers Bron

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG.... Angela, it's amazing, your hubby sure suggest a very creative idea, Thanks for joining TOMIC this week,
    hugs from Indonesia,
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOMGG. Wow .. This is insanely gorgeous. I love it:)
    Great idea and execution.
    hugs Marika

    ReplyDelete
  7. My word this is such a magical scene and must have taken you ages to colour!!! but so worth it its just amazing!!! Chanelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely AMAZING! HOLY COW! such detail! so many Tilda! A feast for the eyes for sure! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Thanks for inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY GOD, this is AMAZING! You took my breath away with this masterpiece, absolutely gorgeous work with the scene, you are so creative! This card is BRILLIANT! I'm totally in love with it. GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS!

    Congrats on the top 5 at TOMIC! So well deserved :)
    hugs,
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow angela i think you should have been picked as number one, that card is amazing...Mom

    ReplyDelete